I’ve mentioned our house and the DIY activities a few times, but thought I’d do a series of posts to share what we’ve done because to be honest I’m pretty proud of our efforts! So here’s part one all about our lovely hallway.
The lady of the manor and I bought our first house just before christmas 2009, it was something we’d been thinking about for a while but saving that deposit is never easy when you’re paying £700 a month in rent. So we took the decision to move in with the inlaws for 6 months to finally get the money together. We’d always dreamed of owning a Victorian house but couldn’t quite afford a 3 bedroom one in Bristol where we’d been looking so we widened the search and happened upon Trowbridge where house prices were just that little bit cheaper.
Although the house had some of the original features still (floorboards for one) it did need some updating and improving. We’d never done any DIY before having rented for so long, but I’m always willing to give things a go. The lady of the manor also doesn’t mind getting her hands dirty but her attention does tend to wane fairly quickly and she is prone to the odd destructive moment without thinking what to afterwards! One such episode saw her ripping up the carpet in our hallway and off the stairs. This was the only area downstairs that wasn’t wood floor and included covering the hall way which is normally tiled in these sort of houses.
With the stair carpet removed our hallway now looked like this and was the beginning of many hours work for me with a sander!
We wanted to restore the stairs and hallway to something close to the original design with a tiled hallway and a carpet runner on the stairs. I sanded the stairs back to the wood getting rid of all the glue and old paint. We then painted them white and lived like that for a while until I had time to tackle the hallway. We hoped and prayed that under that carpet was a tiled floor. On pulling it up we found that actually there was a concrete floor which was strangely higher than all the other floors. A little chipping away at the edges revealed a glimpse of a tile and much excitement from us;
The concrete came up pretty easily in most cases and after half a days work we were left with this;
Apart from the big hole near the front door the floor was actually in pretty good condition and just needed a good clean. The hole still needs repairing, although I do have the tiles now to do it, but a little girl has got in the way recently! But the rest of the floor and stairs is done and we are extremely happy with the finished result. Its exceeded any dreams we had when we bought the house. Why anyone would have covered this up in the past is beyond me.