When you have children you naturally look forward to the ‘firsts’, the first smile, laugh, walk, word, the list goes on. Well the Bean is still 3 months from making an appearance so I’ve been ticking off the ‘lasts’ instead. It’s quite a strange feeling to be honest, knowing that from April I will be a dad, as they say it’ll never be the same again.
So what have been the major ‘last’ milestones that I’ve been through so far? Well in that time honoured tradition, here’s a top 10 (in no particular order of course!) of recent ones and also a few to come shortly.
- The last Christmas without children; which as my friend Suzanne pointed out kids make Christmas so this really isn’t a bad thing, just a little quieter than the ones in the future! Plus the lady of the manor really is a child at heart wanting to open her presents on Christmas Eve, so it won’t be too different.
- The last time someone asks me how I am before asking about the baby; having a puppy has probably speeded this up in any case.
- The last holiday where we only needed 1 bed!
- The last 3 months of having a spare room and not a nursery
- The last visit to an attraction and not needing a family ticket
- The last night out without needing a babysitter
- Judging by the parents on twitter that I follow the last time I get to sleep past 6am?!
- The last form filled out with a ‘0’ in the number of dependents box
- The last time I clean the car and don’t find dried food, nappies, baby toys, wet wipes (take your pick) under the seats
- 10. The last time I turn on the TV and Cbeebies doesn’t appear.
But you know what? I can’t wait to be a dad and hold my son or daughter for the first time. It’s going to be such fun, particularly given that we’re going to New Zealand in September for 3 weeks (more of that at a later point). For now the planning has started in earnest; how to decorate the nursery, which push chair to buy, disposable nappies or not, which car seat, how long can the lady of the manor take for maternity leave, how to introduce the baby to the dog and so on.
What are the key lasts that you remember? What is the one thing we should buy before everything else? Would love to hear your comments. I’ll leave you with a photo from our summer holiday this year where the good lady and I travelled to Brittany in June, think this picture could look different in years to come. Strangely this holiday was almost exactly 9 months before the bean is due…..